sábado, 15 de mayo de 2010

Oh when you look at me like that my darling, what did you expect?




There are days when you feel proud to live where you live and yesterday, was one of those days. These days when you feel privileged because I had been dreaming for so long to see the great band Arctic Monkeys performing live since I first heard them in 2005, long before they recorded their first album. Five years later and after becoming a huge Arctic Monkeys’ fan, they come nearby my town to perform in a free concert. What else could I ask for?

The truth is that the night seemed to be awesome, full of rock and roll (that's always great) and so it was. Furthermore, despite forecasts of rain, it only drizzled a bit in the afternoon. I arrived at the concert premises at about 17.15 with some friends and the site was already full of people wearing their umbrellas and fearing the worst, but fortunately, they didn’t need to use them. At some point, I noticed that some people had written some funny English sentences dedicated to Turner’s band such as Alex do me or Suck my d….. which I prefer not to write down here. In general, the atmosphere was very nice, you could almost feel people’s excitement and everyone was happy and amazed for what was about to happen. However, I have to say that although I saw people of all ages, I got impressed by the fact that there were too many 11-year-old-children unaccompanied by an adult. That surprised me in a very bad way, but at least, the night passed without an incident.

After nearly three hours of waiting, it was about 20:00 when eventually, MTV presenter Johann Wald came on stage to introduce the first band of the night, the Valencian Fuzzy White Casters. I already had heard about them a few weeks ago due to the fact that the drummer’s girlfriend is in the same class at the university as I am. But yesterday I was thrilled with those four guys who knew how to start a big show. They only played five songs (I remember that Polock did the same in the previous edition) but they did their best in those five songs, mixing indie rock and electronics in a masterly way and showing that there is no need to go to the British Isles to find great English rock groups.

The second band was almost a strangers to me, Lightspeed Champion. When I learned of the groups that completed the lineup of this year, I started to listen their records, watching videos on youtube ... and of the four bands, Lightspeed Champion was the least best in my opinion. I expected them to be better, with more energy on stage, but all the songs they played were very slow except a version of “It will not be long” from The Beatles that the truth is that it was one of the highlights of the night. Moreover, something really surprised me about this band and is the fact that the lead singer is a black person. Nowadays it is very difficult to find a rock band which its singer is color person, in fact, I can only think about two right now: Bloc Party and Ocean Colour Scene. It is also uncommon the fact that the bass and the drummer were women. I think that this is just great.

After Lightspeed Champion it was the turn of Mystery Jets, the band from London that I had seen performing eight days before. I have to say that I liked them more the night of MTV Winter than previously, and it was really nice to discover that many people around me knew their songs. They played some very energy songs and their performance was a decent opening for what was about to come, the rock explosion of the night, Arctic Monkeys.
After nearly half an hour of preparation with the stage filled with smoke so you could not distinguish the silhouettes of the Sheffield’s band going on stage, the chords of “Dance little liar” started to play. The band did a great show, playing their most popular songs like “When the sun goes down”, “Brianstorm”, “Fluorescent Adolescent” and, “I bet that you look good on the dancefloor” as well as some pieces from their new album as “Cornerstone” and the brilliant “Crying Lightning”. The end of the show was absolutely superb because I had spent all the night waiting for my favorite song “505” and it was played in the apotheosis of the closure. To me, it couldn’t have ended better. I have to do a special mention to Matt Helders, the drummer. I’ve never seen such an amazing demonstration of talent and in my opinion, he’s likely to become one of the greatest drummers in the history.
Well, that night was another great night of rock and roll and now I am much more fanatic about Arctic Monkeys than before( if this is possible according to my father). Maybe next year the garage rock band The Strokes will visit us; a new album is on the way…

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario